Frequently Asked Questions
- How do the digital patterns work? It's really pretty easy. When you purchase a digital pattern you are given a unique URL to download your pattern. Each digital pattern includes two pattern print options, print at home and copy shop, a read me file to help you successfully print the files, and a fully illustrated instruction booklet. For more information regarding how this process works please see our Digital Product Policies page and our Digital Product How To page.
- Help! I clicked the link to download my pattern and nothing happened! When you click the link the pattern will automatically download to your computer's downloads folder. Check in there, you should see your pattern. If you don't see it, make sure your web browser is up to date and you don't have any firewalls preventing downloads from occurring.
- Why is the pattern not opening on my iPad/iPhone? The file you're downloading is a .zip file which contains 4 files compressed together. Unfortunately iPads/iPhones are unable to handle .zip files.
- I downloaded the .zip file, now what? Both Mac and PC computers come with the program needed to de-compress .zip files. In both platforms all you need to do is double click on the .zip file and it will open.
- I printed the pattern and my test square isn't the right size, how can I fix this? Unfortunately all PDF viewers are not created equally, if you're having trouble make sure you're using Acrobat Reader to print your PDF files. You can download a free copy of Acrobat Reader here http://get.adobe.com/reader/. Click to disable page scaling or alternately you can enter 100% into the scaling box. The test square is located on the first page of each pattern so print that page first.
- I accidentally deleted my files, can you send me new ones? We understand this happens, but unfortunately due to the number of requests and the nature of digital files we are unable to send new files. Please see our Digital Product Policies page for more information on this.
EU VAT TAXATION
- Why am I being charged VAT tax on a digital download? Starting January 1, 2015 a new European Union law has gone into effect affecting all sellers of digital files worldwide. For all EU customers the point of sale has moved from where the seller lives to where the purchaser lives. This means we are now legally required to charge you VAT tax for the country you purchase from. There is no minimum purchase involved in these transactions, all transactions are to be taxed. You can view the official European Union documentation here and their FAQ's on the matter here. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about this if we want to be legally tax compliant, if you are not in favor of this law as an EU resident, you might consider writing your local government.
- How do you ship orders? All orders ship via USPS using either First Class or Priority Flat Rate for both domestic and international orders. You will be offered both methods at checkout, please note that First Class shipping does not come with a tracking number.
- When will my order ship? Orders are typically shipped within 2 business days of receipt of payment. Occasionally something will delay us slightly like a snow storm or an extremely high quantity of orders around the release of a new pattern, but we ship on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
- How long will it take my package to arrive? Domestic orders shipped via First Class or Priority Flat Rate should arrive within 2-5 business days. Internationally Priority Mail typically arrives within 10 days and First Class within 2-3 weeks, though it can take up to 30 days for USPS First Class mail to reach its destination.
- My package hasn't shown up, what should I do? We are not responsible for lost or stolen packages, please make sure to double check your address when imputing it into the order form. If a package is returned as undeliverable we are happy to re-send the package at the purchasers expense to another address. If you suspect your package is lost, please contact us at email@example.com so we can work out a solution.
- I'm purchasing outside the United States, what about customs? All orders are shipped with the full retail value of the product stated on the customs form and we are unable to change this or list the product as a gift. Orders placed outside the US may be subject to various import taxes and charges, these are your responsibility as the purchaser. For more information regarding these please contact your local customs office.
- What is your return policy? All physical patterns can be returned within 30 days of purchase as long as the pattern is unopened and in salable condition. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org before any returns and include your order number so that we know to expect the return in the mail. Digital patterns cannot be returned due to the nature of digital products. If you have more questions regarding this please see our Digital Product Policies page.
- Do you offer gift certificates? At the moment we do not, but we're working on getting that set up as soon as possible.
- Do you share my information / is it secure? Any info you give us stays with us, we never sell or share any of your info or email addresses. We also do not store your credit card information and this shop is Level 1 PCI DSS Certified through Shopify. For more information regarding this click here.
- Can I use your images for my web shop? Of course! You can obtain photos from the product pages or if you need high resolution photos or have a specific request please contact us at email@example.com and we'll get you what you need.
- Do you offer wholesale? We do on our printed patterns but are not expanding our digital wholesale business at the moment. If you're interested in carrying Grainline Studio patterns in your shop please fill out our Wholesaler Form and check out or Wholesale FAQ.
- Can I sell items made from your patterns? In short no. When you purchase Grainline Studio patterns you are agreeing to our terms of service. All designs, illustrations, images, text, and all other aspects of this pattern are © Grainline Studio, LLC 2015. This pattern is for personal use only and no part of this product may be reproduced, transmitted, or shared in any form. Items from this pattern may not be produced for resale. All rights reserved.
- Can I start a clothing line with your patterns? Again now. In addition to the reasons stated above, there are many other reasons why you shouldn't use a commercial pattern to start a clothing line. A few of them are stated in this article on the subject.
- You can find Pattern Errata here.